With the plethora of affordable skin care routines and products available to consumers, a tight budget should never be an excuse for poor skin care. Ignoring your skin can lead to the development of skin problems, an aged appearance, and even deadly skin cancer. Fortunately, a proactive approach to skin care is usually much more affordable than tackling the problems that result from damaged skin. Below are 12 life-changing skin care hacks to save you money.
1) Establish a regular skin cleansing routine. Cleansing your skin regularly is one of the best steps you can take to prevent costly skin conditions and maintain a fresh appearance. Many women over-cleanse their skin, which can be costly over time and counterproductive for their skin’s appearance. Below are some simple skin cleansing tips designed to help you save time and money:
- Cleanse your face once daily. More frequent cleansing is often unnecessary and wastes your cleanser.
- Take approximately 30 seconds to cleanse your face. Additional time is excessive.
- Choose a cleanser designed to match your skin type (oily, dry, normal or sensitive)
2) Visit your dermatologist at least once each year for a skin cancer screening. Failure to follow this important step can be costly and potentially deadly. The minimal cost of a skin cancer screening or dermatology appointment can save a person’s life in the long run. Researchers project that there will be over 75,000 cases of melanoma in the U.S. by the end of 2016, highlighting the need for annual skin cancer screenings.
3) Apply a broadband sunscreen every day. A broadband sunscreen is a skin care accessory that everyone – regardless of age or skin color – needs. Sunscreen is affordable and is one of the best tools to aid in the prevention of skin cancer. Apply sunscreen in the mornings after cleansing your face and again after workouts or sweating to ensure maximum protection.
4) Make hydration a top priority. Keeping your skin hydrated is a great way to improve your skin’s health and curb skin care costs. Here are some easy ways to make sure that your skin stays hydrated:
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day. 64 ounces a day is frequently recommended.
- Apply a moisturizer formulated for your skin type (oily, dry, normal) in the mornings and evenings
- Consider juicing to help detoxify your skin and give it a radiant glow
5) Remember your vitamins. Vitamins E, K, B, and C are frequently recommended because of their positive effects on the skin. In addition to their anti-aging properties, vitamins are affordable and can be easily incorporated into a person’s daily routine. Some people choose to consume their vitamins through food, while others prefer to take a daily supplement.
6) Do not ignore your lips. In an effort to keep the skin on our foreheads, cheeks and neck smooth and supple, we often overlook our lips. You can prevent chapping and flaking for under a dollar with a tube of lip balm. Be sure to select one with an SPF of 30 to provide protection from the sun’s harmful rays.
7) Eat the proper foods. Modifying your diet is a cost-effective way to improve your skin’s health and appearance. Foods rich in the vitamins outlined above are excellent additions to your diet. Here are a few foods to add to your dietary regime:
- Olive oil: Affordable and healthful, olive oil aids the skin through its anti-aging oxidants
- Bananas: Bananas contain potassium, which can help heal dry skin
- Yams: Yams contain vitamins A, B, and C and are known for their anti-aging effects on the skin
8) Exfoliate your skin periodically. When many people think of exfoliation, they envision a fancy spa with aestheticians and dermatological tools. Fortunately, you can avoid the high costs of these professional procedures by exfoliating at home. You can exfoliate your skin at home with the help of many affordable products such as scrubs, exfoliating gloves, brushes, or even a washcloth.
9) Apply foundation and other makeup conservatively. Many women overuse foundation and other cosmetics in an effort to achieve a more youthful look. Unfortunately, this costly strategy causes women to deplete their makeup faster and produce the opposite effect they intended. Excessive use of foundation can actually accentuate fine lines, causing women to look older. You can avoid this pitfall by applying makeup in natural light and by using a sponge to gently apply foundation.
10) Improve your sleeping habits. Failure to get sufficient sleep night after night can wreak havoc on your skin. A lack of rest can contribute to puffy eyes, fine lines and a tired looking appearance. Here are a few strategies to help you improve the quality of your sleep:
- Create and stick to a sleeping routine each night
- Lower your thermostat a degree or in the evenings
- Refrain from drinking alcohol or caffeine right before you go to sleep
11) Wear your sunglasses every time you head outside. Many people underestimate the protection that sunglasses can offer your skin. In addition to shielding your eye area from the harmful rays of the sun, sunglasses helps prevent you from squinting, which can ultimately reduce fine lines and wrinkles around your eyes. When choosing sunglasses, look for lenses that are UV400 or greater to help block the most damaging rays.
12) Be proactive in your approach to skin care. Do not wait for your skin to show signs of trouble before giving it the attention that it deserves. You should always be on the lookout for low cost strategies and products that will help you preserve your skin. You will save money in the long run with a proactive approach.
For more information on cost-effective skin care practices that can positively impact your life, please contact us. We look forward to offering guidance on your journey to radiant skin!