Summer is coming to a close. This means less time out in the sun, and cooler, dry weather is on its way. The great news is there are several DIY face masks that can save your skin from drying, breakouts, and rough patches during the fall and winter months. Below are 7 homemade face masks that will make your skin glow!
1. Baking Soda and Honey Mask: This is a great mask for all skin types that won’t cause over-drying or greasiness. Olive oil acts as a natural moisturizer promoting skin elasticity. Honey has natural anti-bacterial properties which helps reduce acne and tighten pores. The baking soda helps exfoliate skin, removing dead skin cells and excess oil.
- 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
Directions: Mix all ingredients together to form a paste. If you would like a thicker paste, gradually increase the amount of baking soda until desired consistency is reached. Apply to your face and neck. Let sit for 5 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
2. Oatmeal Mask: If you have rough patches on your face, or deal with frequent breakouts, an oatmeal mask is a soothing option to calm your skin while naturally exfoliating it. This too, is a great option for all skin types. Oats have been used for centuries in skin care due to its ability to produce a rich lather and reduce skin irritations. This is especially a great mask to use in the winter when the air is very dry and cold.
- 1/2 cup of hot water
- 1/3 cup of instant oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1-2 tablespoons of unsweetened, plain yogurt (depending on the consistency you want)
Directions: Add the oats to the hot water, and stir for a few minutes. After this you can add the honey and yogurt. Put the mixture into a blender, and blend until the mask is smooth. Apply to you face and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
3. Avocado and Honey Mask: This is a great mask for anyone who has dry skin. The combination of avocado and coconut oil will help to heal raw skin, and reduce flakiness. Avocado is natural moisturizer that can penetrate deep into the skin. You can even use plain, mashed avocado on super dry patches of your body like your feet or elbows.
- 1/2 of a ripe avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of honey
Directions: Mash the avocado with a fork until its consistency is smooth and creamy. You can then mix in the coconut oil and honey. Apply to your face, careful to avoid your eyes. Leave the mask on for 10-15 minutes, depending on the severity of your dry skin. After the time is up you can rinse with warm water.
4. Pumpkin Mask: The beautiful thing about the beginning of the fall season is pumpkin will be back on shelves at your local grocery store or farmer’s market. Pumpkin is a very popular ingredient in skin care products, as it is rich in antioxidants. Pumpkin contains both Vitamins A and C which soften and soothe the skin, as well as boost collagen production, which can fight the signs of aging. Pumpkin also contains Vitamin B which helps fight acne and increases blood circulation. Pumpkin is great for brightening a dull complexion and evening out skin tone.
- 1/3 cup of pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of honey
Directions: Mash pumpkin until it has a smooth texture. Add the honey and milk, and mix until well blended. Apply the mask to your face, and let sit for about 10-20 minutes depending on how quickly the mask begins to dry out. Promptly rinse with cool water.
5. Banana Egg-White Mask: Bananas are one of America’s favorite fruits. This is partially due to the fact that they are available year-round. This too, is a great reason to use them in homemade face masks. In this mask, bananas help hydrate skin, while theegg-white helps tighten skin, preventing fine lines and wrinkles.
- 1/2 of a ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon plain, unsweetened yogurt
- The white of one egg
Directions: Mash the banana until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Apply the mixture to your face and leave on for at least 15 minutes. After 5 minutes, rinse the mask off with warm water and pat dry. Use regularly for glowing skin!
6. Coffee Mask: If you are concerned about swelling, puffiness, or aging skin then this coffee mask is the perfect choice for you. The caffeine found in the coffee grounds can help reduce these problems, and help you feel energized and more focused. The mask also contains yogurt which acts as a natural moisturizer.
- 2 tablespoons of freshly ground coffee
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons of pure cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons of yogurt
Directions: Mix all ingredients together and spread over face. Let the mask sit on your face for at least 10 minutes. Gently exfoliate as you rinse the mixture off. If you have any of the mask left over, you can use it on elbows, heals, or hands to reduce rough spots and reveal soft skin!
7. Cucumber Mask: This mask is a great solution for all skin types, and is especially a great option for men. Cucumber is great for soothing dry, cracked skin and can also help reduce the irritation caused by razor burn. Cucumber is rich in antioxidants including Vitamin C and Vitamin K, which helps reduce dark circles under the eyes and makes your skin look more refreshed.
- 1/2 of a cucumber, chopped and peeled
- 1 tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt
Directions: Run the cucumber through a food processor or blender until it is pulpy. Mix in the yogurt to create a paste. Spread the mixture over your face and neck, and leave on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse with warm water and pat dry with a towel.
Depending on the severity of your skin condition and how sensitive it is, these masks can be used as little as once or twice a week, or up to four times a week. For any questions on incorporating homemade face masks into your skin care routine, contact us today!